Friday, August 14, 2015

Are you still running???

Are you still running??? This is a question I have started hearing more and more frequently as I get closer to my due date. For the most part this question doesn't bother me. Currently I am 34 weeks pregnant and, let's be honest, it's pretty uncommon to see a pregnant woman running around the streets anywhere you go. Most of the time people are pretty positive; I get encouraging comments and a lot of jokes (most of the jokes come from men, which just makes me smile). People look at me with awe, and in the case of Clint and my parents I can tell they are proud of me. (This makes my heart super happy!) However, occasionally this question brings a look of disdain or criticism. I know these people care about me a ton and they mean well but it is super hard to see them look at me, or tell me, that I am harming my baby. Now, I know I am much more emotional right now. I have a ton of estrogen in my system at the moment. But honestly, I have broken down to Clint on more than one occasion over this question and the critical looks I receive.

So, in response to this question, let me just explain myself a little bit. I love running SO much! It makes me super happy. Those close to me know how much running means to me. It gives me sanity and endorphins and passion in a way I just can't describe. After a good run I am literally bouncing off the walls. (Just ask Clint.) I have this huge grin on my face with flushed cheeks and bright eyes. I feel like I can take on the world, like I can do ANYTHING.

Now, as I explained in a previous post, running during pregnancy is hard and being only a few weeks away from my due date it keeps getting harder. (Try running with a bowling ball strapped around your middle.) BUT it is not hard in a way that is harmful to me or my baby. I have conditioned my body over the years. Last year alone I ran almost 1200 miles - right before I started my pregnancy! Of course my miles have decreased significantly as my pregnancy progresses and I have slowed down a ton but my body knows what it is doing. Running is not a new thing for me. (And in all fairness, I feel like I'm pretty good at listening to my body.) Not gonna lie, it can be hard to max out after 8 miles when, pre-pregnancy, my long runs were 10+ miles - at least once a week. I've gone from logging 30-40 miles in the course of a week to around 20 on a good week. However, I wouldn't trade this little girl for anything. I love her so much already. Pregnancy has been a wonderful experience and it is only temporary. Before long I'll be up to my previous mileage and I'll be stronger because of my baby girl.

Also, my doctor has approved all of my physical activity. In fact she has encouraged me to stay consistent with exercise. On my end, exercise tends to make labor/recovery easier and faster, plus it keeps me healthy, both physically and mentally, on so many levels. She is also getting so many benefits from my exercise habits. She is receiving more oxygen, labor will be less stressful on her, and, in general, she will be a healthier baby. And honestly, I think she loves running with me! She tends to move a lot more on days when I am active. (She's gone over 600 miles with me so far.) And while I may have a few braxton hicks while out running, I have not had any serious contractions at any point during my pregnancy. My doctor is really pleased with how well everything is going.

Lastly, I have several spiritual experiences during the course of the last eight months letting me know that I am okay and to trust my body and that if I do I will be able to run my whole pregnancy. The Lord truly understands how much running and my baby mean to me. He has blessed me in so many ways. I often find myself praying during solo runs, trying to express my gratitude to Him.

I have to make a huge shout out to my friends and family who keep encouraging me. (Especially Clint and my parents - pretty sure I have the best family ever.) Thank you for your positive words and for cheering me on. I know there are a lot of people who love me and worry about me and my baby girl but just know I am listening to my body and the doctors and the Lord, constantly.

So, am I still running? Yes, of course! And I plan to run until the end. :)

No comments: