Sunday, March 1, 2009

Rascal Flatts in Concert!

The event of the week was my first concert EVER! Of course I have always gone to band and orchestra concerts, but never a rock concert - even though Rascal Flatts is a country band. The concert was amazing though! My friend Jessica and I got tickets and after having dinner at Apollo Burger we headed to the Energy Solutions Arena on Trax. We were pretty excited. It didn't take long to reach our destination. We stepped off the light-rail into an atmosphere of excitement. People were milling around outside, taking pictures or trying to get into the building. A radio station was broadcasting outside and some girls were attempting to sing-along with a Rascal Flatts - they didn't sound so great... Jessica and I hurried inside where they scanned our tickets. It didn't take us long to find our seats - Section 21, Row 20, Seats 7 & 8. Not too bad. I was hoping for the floor, but oh well. Then we decided to wander around. I was ecstatic, I really wanted some souvenoir to remember the concert by. Of course the line for merchandise was long, but we decided it would be better to buy something before the concert rather than afterwards. Everything was so expensive though! I wanted a sweatshirt, but it was $50. Instead I got a strawhat. It looks really cute though.

By the time we made it back to our seats Jessica Simpson had already started her opening act. To my surprise she was really good. She had a great voice and I wouldn't mind having some of her music. I think country suits her well. I couldn't believe how loud the band was, though. I couldn't really make out the lyrics to some of the songs, but it could be because I didn't know the songs. Regardless, it was a good opening. It was really weird seeing a celebrity live. :)


Once Jessica Simpson was done performing the stage crew came out to get ready for RASCAL FLATTS! The stage was set up with the band at the back and then platforms all around the floor. Techies came out and climbed up and down from the lights to the stage on long rope ladders. It looked pretty cool, although I would probably be terrified. It took the crew about 15 minutes to get everything set up. Jessica and I just goofed around with our cameras. I was giddy with excitement.


Finally everthing went dark and an image of huge redwood trees showed on the screens in the back. After waiting for a while - in all reality it was probably only 30 seconds - I started getting anxious. I looked all around the arena, trying to figure out when everything was going to start when a shooting star started falling on the screen. I was so fascinated as it came closer and closer, until suddenly it exploded on stage! I must have jumped a mile high. Then everything was revealed and there was Rascal Flatts!


It was so amazing! Everyone started screaming and cheering and singing all at once. I was surprised how good they sounded. Seriously, they sounded just like their albums. The guitar riffs and drumset were ridiculously good. They even had someone playing the electric violin. I sang along to almost everything, although there were a few songs I didn't know that well. :) The sound balance seemed a lot better for Rascal Flatts, even though everything was still so loud! Again, the concert was awesome. They did a little improv thing in the middle, while things were getting set up, about girls walking around in mini skirts and high heels. And they gave the advice to not get offended if you choose to wear that get-up because every male is going to look at you. It was pretty funny.














I noticed they were always changing guitars. They were all so gorgeous. I remember one was an electric guitar in brilliant blue with a silver pick guard. Another was warm yellow and red. But enough about the guitars. At the end Rascal Flatts said thank you to everyone and introduced those playing in their band. A lot of people must have thought the concert was over because people started heading out. Jessica and I stuck around. I didn't know if anything else was going to happen. Everyone was cheering as loud as they could. Then, all of a sudden, the lights on the stage came back on and Rascal Flatts were back out singing! Confetti exploded from the stage and balloons fell from the ceiling. Everyone started screaming again. After a couple more songs they said goodnight.
Jessica and I had so much fun at the concert. She told me she didn't know if it was more fun to watch the concert or to watch me. Haha. It was worth every penny and I recommend them to anyone. They are so great! "Good night, y'all!"

No comments: