Thursday, March 26, 2009

Running through Swamps!

HAHA! I LOVE this story! So tonight I went running with my good friend Brad. Much to our surprise we have never been running together before, but we had a blast! So we set out at a good pace at least 6.0 miles per hour, probably a little more. Our goal was to run eight miles. Really, not terribly difficult. We are both distance runners. :) Here's the thing Brad is seriously awesome. I think I would consider him one of my best friends. He isn't dramatic, I try not to be dramatic, but I can completely be myself around him. (Don't worry, we are just friends, nothing more.) Anyway, so around mile three we were running down 1800 North and it lead to a dead end. We were about a block away from 1000 West, but their was a flooded field blocking our path. Being the awesome pair we are we decided to brave the swamp and cross it.

Our first hurdle was a wire fence with barb wire along the top. Brad made it over first - he's a lot taller than me so he just had to step over it. Then it was my turn. He held down the wire for me and I stepped over with my left leg, picked up my right leg and I was caught. I know, it was ridiculous! Thankfully it took me all of two seconds to fix. We laughed and the continued onto the bigger obstacle. A vast marsh.

At first the going was easy. Brad lead the way as we hoped from one dry patch to the next. Occasionally our feet would come across a little water, but nothing too bad. Until we reached the middle. By this point our feet were only half dry, but we were way to far to turn back now. We trudged on, actually it was more like hopping, laughing and talking the whole time. Our shoes and socks ended up getting soaked. The water was unavoidable, however we finally made it to the end of the mire. That did not conclude our quest though. Before we could get back onto solid ground we had to cross yet another fence. This one was higher than the first and very unstable. Brad suggested I use him to help me get over, but I couldn't get my footing right at all. So then he said he would lift me up so I could stand on the barb wire then jump over. It wasn't too difficult. I even landed on my feet. Hehe. It didn't take Brad long at all to get up and over, but he did end up falling. :) Although he jumped right back to his feet. Then we were off and running again. Haha! It was so much fun!

We did finish our eight miles. It felt nice, although I was tired by the end. That makes thirteen total today - I ran five this afternoon. I figure it is my last week to really push myself then it's three weeks until the marathon! I am so excited! And it looks like I may have found a running partner too. Yay!

As for other news I just got back from a week long cruise to the Mexican Riviera. It was soooo much fun! Hopefully I can get pictures up soon. My dad is the family photographer so he took most of the pics.

It's good to be back! I'm sure I'll have more stories soon!

1 comment:

Ranaebang said...

What a funny story!
I didn't know you were gonna run a marathon! Awesome!
Also, I didn't know you went on a cruise, so fun!