Saturday, July 17, 2010

A Year of Writing

Last night I was inspired to improve my writing skills. Everyone knows I am completely in love with books. I could spend HOURS in a book store and easily spend at least $100 without feeling guilty. As some of you may know I started writing a book clear back in high school. I finished it once, but it needed a LOT of plot revisions so I've been working on it ever since. Last night I decided to dig it up once again and glance through it. Wow! Can I just say that I forgot how much I love my characters? The writing was amateur but I fell in love with my story once again. I really believe it has potential! Of course my writing still needs some work. So I decided to make myself a goal: A year of writing. Every day I write something and post it. Hopefully I get some good feedback. It's definitely going to take time and dedication but I can do it. :)

Here's the first post:

A sharp pain jabbed into Amanda's side with every stride she took.

Inhale....Exhale...Amanda thought calmly. Although the ache didn't go away immediately the breathing exercise seemed to help. She glanced down at her watch. Pace: 8:45. A smile briefly flashed across her face. She was right on track. Just a few more blocks and the ten miles would be up.

An upbeat rhythm played in her ears, motivating her to keep up her pace. She was vaguely aware of sweat trickling down her bow and wiped it away with the back of her hand. Although her breathing was slightly labored she felt strong. Her feet sprang lightly off the city sidewalks and her muscles felt strong, powerful. A scent of automobiles and tar hang heavy in the air. Her quick blue eyes scanned the massive buildings towering abover her. It was beautiful.

As she rounded the corner she located her penthouse a block away. Eyes narrowed in determination. The final stretch. A surge of adrenaline spread through her body. She lengthened her stride, putting her entire heart into every step. The wind caught a few loose strands of her light brown hair. It pressed against her, cooling off the sweat from her body.

This is why she ran. It felt as if she were flying.

No comments: